Why is Social Business Intelligence Important for My Business?
If your business is planning to implement self service business intelligence, you may be focused on cascading data analysis and fact-based decision-making throughout the enterprise and, hopefully, your focus includes improving the data literacy of your business users and team members.
One of the additional benefits of Self Service BI Tools is the concept of social BI, and it is important not to overlook these benefits when you lay out the justification of your self-serve BI project for your senior management team. Why is Social Business Intelligence important?
Just think about it. Every aspect of modern life involves sharing and social interaction. If your business users can access business intelligence and see popular data to rate, share and comment, you can begin to optimize resources. You will see the emergence of power users who take a creative, insightful approach to data analysis. Just as social media users can ‘Like’ or ‘Share’ a provocative post from another user, a Social Business Intelligence Tool can support the same kind of sharing and learning within your organization.
As power users, and data analysis, become ‘popular’, the enterprise will see improved user adoption of BI tools and begin to understand the types of data that users value, and how to provide, and present, data to improve data leverage, and increase confidence in decisions. Understanding the social aspect of data analysis, and data popularity allows the enterprise to make decisions about additional provisioning of data, reports and dashboards to business users. Here are just a few of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Share, rate, comment and popularize data to understand what data business users want and need
• Balance Data Quality vs. Popularity
• Promote collaborative decision-making among business users
• Drive BI tool user adoption, and shared resources and knowledge, remain relevant, and contribute value to users and to the enterprise
• Create culture of popular ‘data heroes’ among business users
• Transform business users into Citizen Data Scientists